Coriander is known as Chinese parsley or dhania and in the United States the stems and leaves are called cilantro. All parts of coriander plant are edible, but the fresh leaves and the dried seeds are the most traditionally used in cooking in India.
Coriander seeds a have been used for many centuries. These seeds then used for culinary and medicinal purpose.
These seeds currently used in India, Holland, Mexico and Russia are the main manufacturers, suppliers and exporters.
Overview of Coriander Seeds
How to use Coriander Seeds :
- Coriander is used in cooking largely for flavour that it permeate and the color that it gives to the food. Apart from culinary uses of coriander seeds it contains large number of minerals and vitamin that is very essential for good and better health.
- Main advantage of coriander seed is it lowers the cholesterol and it has anti-inflammatory properties. When coriander seeds combines with other herbs it can be used for treating various diseases such as skin. It can be used for treating insomnia and anxiety and helps in digestion.
Health Benefits of Coriander Seeds :
- Coriander seed used to reduce blood sugar. It also have antioxidant properties. Studies done in this field states that powder of coriander seeds reduces level of insulin in blood.
- Frequent consumption of coriander keeps water and food borne illnesses such as dysentery, cholera and typhoid because it has anti-bacterial properties.
- Because of antioxidant properties of coriander seed it can be used in eye care to avoid various disorders.
- Iron present in coriander seeds helps us to keep anemia away.
- Accumulation of heavy metals such as arsenic aluminium, lead etc can cause cardio-vascular and neurological condition such as Alzheimer’s disease.