Fennel seed is a flowering plant spices in the carrot family. These seeds are yellowish brown in colour and obtained from the perennial fennel plant. It has a flavour which leds aroma to the food. Height of fennel seed is about 10 mm in length and 4 mm width.
Fennel seeds are also if green colour and they are used as mouth freshener. Fennel seeds have known since the time of Greeks and Romans. Fennel seed name originated from the word ‘fenyl’. In Germany the seeds known as fenchel and in Italy it is known by finoocchio.
Overview of Fennel Seeds
How to use Fennel Seeds :
- Fennel seeds are mainly used in cooking in many nations including India, China, Scandinavia and Italy.
- These seeds generally used in blends made for the purpose of seasoning the food.
- These seeds are commonly used in making meat breads and Italian sausages.
- Roasted seeds of fennel are generally consumed after food as they work best foe digestion.
- It is used in different cuisines in India.
Health Benefits of Fennel Seeds :
- Fennel seeds consumption has various health benefits because these seeds are rich source of minerals such as magnesium, potassium etc. Two ingredients are present in fennel seeds are fenchone and anethol.
- These seeds increases the production of milk in lactating mothers. It doesn’t have cholesterol so it is ery beneficial for heart health. It has fiber which is good for health of heart. In addition it contains vitamin B-6 and folate.
- These seeds arr rich source of vitamin C. So its consumption helps in boosting the immune system. It helps in digestion.
- Certain compound present in fennel seed is beneficial for diabetics. It is high in dietary fiber and low in cholesterol. When fennel seeds boiled with water it helps kids to relieve them of colic pain that occurs due to indigestion.
- Zinc, iron, selenium , iron, copper and calcium found in fennel seeds which are essential for the production of red cell.